Google Maps API Key
On June 11th, 2018, new pricing and product changes go into effect that require a billing account to be in place with Google Maps. With billing enabled, each user will receive a monthly $200 free credit, enough to support most users of WP3D Models without incurring any additional mapping costs.
Before starting the process below, be sure you’re logged into a Google account where you have permission to create API keys.
So, in order to generate the necessary Google Maps API key, we’ve put together a quick step-by-step guide below:
- Head over to Google Maps Platform to get an API key »
Be sure to select “Maps” and “Places” for use with WP3D. You can also select “Routes”, but it isn’t necessary.
- Create and name your new Project by selecting “Create a new project”:
- Enable billing for your new project, click “Create Billing Account”>
- Follow the instructions and steps for adding your Billing information.
As noted above, adding your billing information is now required by Google. However, you’ll receive a $200 credit each month that should be more than enough to cover most users of WP3D Models without incurring any additional costs.
- Copy the generated API key and enter it into your WP3D Models Settings.
(WP3D) Models –> Settings –> Map (Tab) –> Google Maps API Key
Congrats! Your installation of WP3D Models is now fully compliant with Google’s Maps API!